What Are These Things?
A single question with multiple answers:
- They are small objects, 4 to 8 inches wide and 3 or 4 inches high, made of wood and typically about 3/4 of an inch thick.
- Their purpose is to sit on a surface as a decoration. They are variously called shelf sitters, window sitters or door frame sitters depending on where you put them in your home or office.
- They make great gifts for friends who are (or used to be) familar with the building or landmark depicted.
- Each is a line drawing of a famous, historical or familiar building printed on a piece of wood.
- The name of the company that makes many of them is Cat’s Meow. So they are often called Cat’s Meow figures or simply Cat’s Meows.
- There is no relation between these Cat’s Meow figures and the Cat’s Meow store in Sherburne, NY. They are two completely different companies that happen to have the same name.
There are hundreds (maybe thousands) of Cat’s Meow figures available for various areas around the country.
The following is a comparison of the original building, the line drawing and the back and front of the figure.
The original building picture (as it looked in 1956).
The line drawing.
The front of the actual figure.
The back of the actual figure.
What Else is in the Works?
At this point, I’m no longer making any new figures. It’s been a fun run, but it has run its course. When they’re gone, they’re gone.
What Towns are Depicted?
Figures are available at this time from New Berlin NY, Endicott NY and Norwich NY.
Tell Me What You’d Like to See
I might produce more miniatures of landmarks in Upstate New York in the future. I’d like your input as to which figures would be most interesting. Please click on the SURVEY button in the navigation bar at the left to tell us what other figures you’d be interested in.
Do you ship these?
Yes, the shipping charge is indicated with each figure. I can ship these anywhere that is serviced by the US Postal Service (USPS).
Do I have to pay sales tax?
Yes if the item is purchased in or delivered to an address in New York State. New York requires that sales tax be calculated based on the total amount of the purchase, including shipping. The sales tax rate for my area is 8%.
The good news is that if I deliver the figure to you out of state, or I ship it to an out of NY address, there is no sales tax.